Friday, May 2, 2008

Edfu Temple




The next morning we visited the Edfu Temple. We got there via horse and buggy. It was an interesting trip: Grace and I got in the second the last carriage and arrived at the temple second. Our driver kept driving the horse into a canter and shouting, "Ferrari! Ferrari!" (Interestingly enough, Robert and Jean were the last couple to alight a carriage and the first to arrive!)
The temple at Edfu is the most complete temple still standing. It is dedicated to the falcon god Horus and there is also a complete statue of that god at the front (you see Mother and Grace standing before it). Even as crowded as it was, I managed to find long, narrow passages with no one in them. Mohammed told us some country (I forget who: the U.K.?) offered an exhorbitant amount of money for it last year, but the Egyptian government declined. I walked along for awhile imagining I was a servant girl in ancient Egyptian times. (My mother tells me that is the difference between us - she rode in her carriage imagining that she was Queen Cleopatra! :)

No comments: