Wednesday, September 17, 2014

Sex, Rice, and Videotape: DV should not be available for viewing

I recently joked on both Facebook and twitter that my cat tried to kill me.  He dipped his paw into his water bowl and dripped microscopic drops of water onto the kitchen linoleum, which I stepped into, causing me to slip and fly across the floor, ramming into the cupboards and countertop before slamming into the ground.  A few bruises and aches later I’m none the worse for wear.  But it wasn’t always this way.

There was a time when I sported bruises and felt aches for a far less benign reason.  I, like seven out of ten women, am a survivor of domestic violence.  It’s been 30 years since my former husband and I parted ways and I haven’t seen him in all that time, but I still have nightmares.  Maybe only once or twice a year, but I still have them.  Of course, that’s better than the night terrors that plagued me for the first few years.

When people tell me that they cannot imagine me as a victim of DV, they often ask me why I stayed.  The reasons were too numerous to name, but among them was the fact that he told me often that he would kill me if I ever left.  This was not an idle threat, as almost 1/3 of female homicide victims in the US are at the hands of an intimate partner. My early dreams were usually about him coming after me to do so, even though I had moved almost 2000 miles away.  I would shoot up in bed, shaking and sweating, terrified that he was right outside the window or door.

He abuses me still in my sleep, most often sexually.  I wake feeling dirty and defiled and powerless.  That is perhaps the most lasting injury of all.  That sense of powerlessness.  The thought that there is nothing I can do to change it.  In some sense, it is still true, even though my current suffering is “virtual” and has been for years.

Yet, like Janay Palmer, I married my husband after he first abused me.  I stood by him for several years.  I both believed that he could change and that he never would.  That it would get better and that I would die at his hand.  That it was my fault and if I would only change, the abuse would stop.  That no one else would ever love me and so I had to make this relationship work.  Some of these thoughts were a result of what he told me.  Some of them were very old, ingrained in my childhood and upbringing.  All of it made me feel simultaneously culpable and vulnerable.

This is why last week while I was in Prayer Circle at my church, I tried to explain that I felt for Janay Palmer Rice.  It was wrong for the media to keep showing the video of her abuse at the hands of her then-fiancé Ray Rice, and for youtube to make it accessible to anyone and everyone all the time.  One parishioner, a wonderful older woman, couldn’t understand my point of view at all.

“But if it brings this type of behavior to light and helps to make a change, isn’t it a good thing?  If it had been you in the video, wouldn’t you have wanted to have it shown because of the possible end results?” she argued.

No.  No, I wouldn’t have.  I wouldn’t have wanted the world to see me exposed that way.  I looked it up on youtube just to make sure that I had my facts straight, but you’ll notice I didn’t include a link in this blog.  You can go find it yourself if you need to view it for whatever reason.  I find my parishioner’s argument to be as fallacious as Ravens’ owner Steve Bisciotti’s that “if this becomes a seminal moment for domestic violence and the way we handle it as a society, it's not a burden for us to become the poster boy.”

Domestic violence is unacceptable.  Individuals being beaten up verbally, physically, emotionally, and sexually at the hands of those who supposedly love them is unconscionable.  That should be clear without any need to see it.  Period.

No comments: